Slack slash commands (FREE SELF)
NOTE: This feature is only configurable on self-managed GitLab instances. For GitLab.com, use the GitLab for Slack app instead.
GitLab can also send events (such as
issue created) to Slack as part of
For a list of available slash commands, see Slash commands.
Configure the integration
Slack slash commands are scoped to a project. To configure Slack slash commands:
- On the left sidebar, select Search or go to and find your project.
- Select Settings > Integrations.
- Select Slack slash commands and leave this browser tab open.
- In a new browser tab, sign in to Slack and add a new slash command.
- Enter a slash command trigger name. You could use the project name.
- Select Add Slash Command Integration.
- In the Slack browser tab:
- Complete the fields with information from the GitLab browser tab.
- Select Save Integration and copy the Token value.
- In the GitLab browser tab:
- Paste the token and ensure the Active checkbox is selected.
- Select Save changes.
You can now run slash commands in Slack.